[esp-r] climatelist file on Windows version ESP-r_on_USB_L

Christopher Heard cheard at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Aug 26 15:55:13 BST 2009

I am in the process of following the cookbook and exercises using the
Windows version of ESP-r on a USB memory stick.

However I ran into a few problems trying to follow the exercise on the
climate database files.

Looking into the "climatelist" file I found that although the instructions
for the installation on a USB memory stick recommend it to be configured as
drive L:,
in the file the lines which start with "*dbfl" show paths which are
c:/esru/esp-r/climate/.

Taking note of the admonition:
# WARNING: Keep this file up to date with current directory structure !
I changed them to L:\esru\esp-r\climate\ . (Windows uses backslashes) But to
no avail.

If one examines the following:
*item
*name Birmingham IWEC WMO 035340
*aide Birmingham (sourced from IWEC/DoE)
*dbfl c:/esru/esp-r/climate/uk_birmingham

on changing this to:

*item
*name Birmingham IWEC WMO 035340
*aide Birmingham (sourced from IWEC/DoE)
*dbfl L:\esru\esp-r\climate\uk_birmingham_iwec

everything seems to work (changing the paths and adding "_iwec" to the
Birmingham file name).

Since in the cookbook the example uses the Birmingham IWEC file it might be
helpful to change the climatelist file in the ESP-r_on_USB_L.zip
downloadable file.

As I am a beginner on ESR-r, I might be completely wrong of course.

The shortness of the cookbook is heartening compared to the 7kg of manuals
that used to accompany DOE2.1e, no graphical interface either,
just a strictly formatted ASCII file.

All the best
Christopher Heard
Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana,