[esp-r] Re: how to add a new classification in the materials

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Aug 5 10:59:03 BST 2009

A question about adding a new classification to a materials database.
  I copy the standard materials into model foder and select "browse/edit" to add a new classification to add new item into the classification. But I can't create a new classification for the matrials. So someone can give me help.

The version of ESP-r that you have appears not to support adding a new
classification.  One work around is to edit the ASCII version of the materials
database to add in a new category (this task is somewhat more complex
than an email message can explain).  If you absolutely must have a
new classification please email me the ASCII version of the materials
database you wish to modify along with notes about the name of the new classification
and the details of the new item that you want to add and I will
attempt to do this edit.

A simpler option is to add the new 'item' into an existing classification.  Note
that the process works better if you have copied the ASCII version of
the materials database rather than the binary version.  To find out
if this is the case check to see if the original file that you copied
ends with a '.a'.

The interface to the materials databases will be the subject of
some revisions in the next few months to reduce such problems.