[esp-r] Re: How to describe desks and furniture inside a zone?

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Mar 10 09:58:50 GMT 2009

A question about internal mass....

::As I have heard before, the esp-r allows me to describe some mass in a zone.
::It is sometimes important because the heat capacity of the objects in a zone such as desk, furniture and so on should be considered in ::the energy calculation.

::I'm just wondering HOW I CAN DESCRIBE some floating mass or objects inside a zone in ESP-r.

::It seems that those objects inside a zone give a considerable effect on temperature profile or heating/cooliing loads.

-----------------------------

The current version of the ESP-r Cookbook (November 2008) discusses internal mass.  The current
version of the project manager offers two explicit choices to define internal mass in a room
for the cases of a horizontal rectangular shape and a vertical rectangular shape.  Look in
the option list when using the 'add surface' menu for entries that include the word 'mass'.

What happens is you are asked for an 'origin' in the room and the length and width of the
rectangular body as well as being presented with a list of constructions to select from.  The
code then creates these surfaces, attributes them and links them together as 'partitions' e.g.
heat can move between them.

If you want to create more complex shapes then use your favorite technique to create
a surface within the zone (probably best to have it NOT touch other surfaces) and then
use the 'copy/invert' command to make the 'other face' to match it. Then you will have
to finish the attribution of composition and 'what happens on the other face' using the
standard facilities.

Best to plan what you want to do.  You must not exceed the limits of surface edge complexity
or the maximum number of surfaces that your room can hold.