[esp-r] zone control laws

Lukas Swan (Dal) lswan at dal.ca
Wed Jan 28 16:46:04 GMT 2009

Hello

I am having difficulty understanding the idealized zone control law response
of a ‘Fixed heat injection’ and ‘Multi-stage control with hysteresis’ when
applied to my model.

1)      They appear to frequently use ½ the defined fixed capacity and only
under certain circumstances use the full capacity

2)      The temperature differential is not set in the ‘fixed’ version, but
appears to apply full capacity or half capacity depending on temperature
difference above setpoint, but also exhibits some PID response.

3)      ‘Multi’ also exhibits some interesting things.

In addition, if the sensor is in one zone (e.g. main) and the actuator is
air point of two zones (e.g. main and bsmt) there is very odd response of
which gets heat injection, including the potential to be 150% of specified
capacity.

My building time step is 10/hr. I am simply trying to model a typical
deadband thermostat in the main zone that controls a idealized plant that
has fixed ON capacity and injects heat to the main and basement zones
(preferably 60%/40% heat rate distribution to the zone of the fixed
capacity).

Thoughts?

Lukas Swan

Dalhousie Univ.