[esp-r] Re: what is the defination of the site's longitude?

육인수 yook at dasskorea.com.test-google-a.com
Mon Dec 29 02:57:19 GMT 2008

Dear Paul

I experienced similar error concerning this longitude difference.

In ESP-r, longitude difference means 'the difference measured from standard
time meridian.'

For example, in Seoul Korea, the longitude is approximately 126.5. But the
Standard Time is based on Tokyo, Japan where the longitude is 135.

Therefore, there is longitude difference 135-126.5=8.5W

When the longitude difference is calculated to West direction from the
Standard Time meridian, you can put (-) for displaying its western
direction. (That's why in Seoul the longitude difference is -8.5, if the
area is located in east from Tokyo the difference will be (+).)

Because it only deals with difference value (not the longitude itself), the
longitude difference should be b/w -15 and 15 degree.

Since one full rotation (360 degrees) of the Earth takes 24 hours we see
that 1 hour of time equates to 15 degrees of longitude (360 degrees of
longitude/24 hours= 15 degrees of longitude).

I hope this can be helpful to you.

Lewis Yook

Team Manager,
Integrated Simulation Unit.
Design and Simulation for Sustainability (DASS) consultants Ltd.

143-834
Venture Center 304-ho
632-9 Guui-dong Gwangjin-gu, Seoul, Korea
T. 82.2.913.2585 F. 82.2.949.2585
H. www.dasskorea.com