[esp-r] Re: Compiling ESP-r source code

Lukas Swan (Dal) lswan at dal.ca
Mon Dec 15 15:33:26 GMT 2008

Hi

The package manager in Ubuntu 8.04 does have all the versions of these
compilers.

To get them in Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) you will need to add the hardy
packages to your repository list.

I added this to the end of the file /etc/apt/source.list (replace “ca” with
your country)

deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted universe
multiverse

deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted universe
multiverse

deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
universe multiverse

deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
universe multiverse

deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse

deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse

deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
universe multiverse

deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
universe multiverse

Install gfortran-4.1 first (sudo aptitude install gfortran-4.1)

Then install gcc-4.1 and g++-4.1. You will find this will cause an issue as
it defaults to the intrepid versions. Deny the first solution and accept the
second (I think).

You will also find you need to install “libx11-dev” and if you want to use
XML “libxml2” and “libxml2-dev”

----

I just had a peak in the esp-r src/Readme file and it does say that version
4.1 is recommended.

As nearly all new distributions are past version 4.1 (I think), perhaps a
note should be included in the readme that the use of 4.1 also requires:

--compiler_version -4.1, and

that the argument --gcc4 be passed, which it seems simply trades g77 for
gfortran? If this is not declared, make looks for g77-4.1, which does not
exist.

This information could simply go in the “Compilers” section of the Readme.

----

I do recall some unexplained floating point errors with 4.1 which were of
concern for the last year.

Have these been resolved?

Lukas Swan

Dalhousie Univ