[esp-r] Re: MZELWE Longwave Flux Messages

Ferguson, Alex AFerguso at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Oct 15 14:35:19 BST 2008

>This was caused by the choice of high exterior surface
>absorptivity and emissivity values, low specific heat,
>and low thermal conductivity.

The low specific heat and conductivity, and the high absorptivity and
emissivity values translate into a small thermal time constant for the
state equation describing the temperature of the surface. The simulation
becomes unstable when the solution time step approaches (or exceeds)
this time step; increasing the time resolution may also produce more
stable simulations.

- Alex