[esp-r] Re: Problems compiling ESP-r on Suse 10.2 enterprise

Ferguson, Alex AFerguso at NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Jul 25 17:03:38 BST 2008

Hi Jan,

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer in my advice. I meant that you could rebuild
ESP-r from the source you have using the gcc 4 compilers. We currently
call gcc-4 builds 'beta' because, while the predictions are very close
to gcc-3 builds, we haven't yet convinced ourselves that gFortran is
stable.  The same is true for ESP-r binaries built using the intel
compiler, the GTK widget set, and architecture 64-bit.

The ESP-r Readme file provides more information; instructions for
building gcc4 versions can be obtained using the following command:

  $ ./Install --help

I hope gcc4-builds will soon be designated as stable; over recent
months, improvements to ESP-r and updates to gFortran have reduced the
degree of disagreement between gcc3 and gcc4 builds. I can forward more
information regarding these differences to you if you wish.

- Alex