[esp-r] Re: Emissivity - complex fenestration

Bart Lomanowski blomanow at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 2 05:20:30 BST 2008

> And remember that ESP-r does not use the emissivity
> at each side of an air gap - it uses an air gap resistance.
> I believe that someone is working on code to explicitly
> model the radiant transfer in an air gap.

My work, which is almost ready for general release, deals with complex
fenestration including a general framework for glazing/shading layers.
I've created a new construction type (CFC) which handles solar optical
and thermal processes based on individual layer properties. Cavity
resistances are calculated at run-time for any gas mixture and glass
emissivity. The front end is a small graphical editor used to
construct the glazing/shading system, with an import facility to pass
the data into an ESP-r input file similar in structure to a *.tmc file.

The main intent of the work is to treat shading layers such as
venetian blinds as part of the building fabric, recognizing that
thermal aspects of shading layer position within the window (outside,
between glass, inside) play a significant role in the total solar gain
to the indoor space. Windows without shading layers can also be finely
tuned by allowing the user to assemble a glazing product based on the
NFRC glazing database, in any arrangment, with any combination of fill
gases.

The intent of the project is really to bridge the gap between
researchers and designers to better understand the impact of shading
on building loads. I will be sure to generate documentation and a user
manual in the upcoming months, but first I have to write my thesis,
which I will also make available.

I am happy to provide more detail to anyone who has questions.

-Bart

---
Bartosz Lomanowski
MASc Candidate