[esp-r] Re: Problems-Esp-r

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Apr 1 22:24:00 BST 2008

A recent observation...

::I am having trouble with the last Esp-r download for Windows. The program
::shuts off all the time when I am working with it. Anyone knwo how to fix
::this?

Although ESP-r occasionally 'falls-over' on Windows after long sessions, we have not
had reports of 'all the time' crashes. This might be specific to your machine.

Is there any pattern to the point(s) in interaction where the crash happens?

a) does it crash in particular menus?
b) does it crash on particular types of dialogue?
c) do all of the ESP-r modules crash or only some?
d) are you typing particular characters when it crashes?
e) are you running on Vista? - ESP-r is not yet proven to work on Vista.

Check that you have a locale set to use a period as a decimal place, ESP-r
will be utterly confused with a comma as a decimal place. It will also
corrupt models.

If you have an alternative computer you can use, load ESP-r
on it and try to work with one of the models that have been
problematic.

Debug on native Windows is somewhat problematic. You would need,
at a minimum, the MSYS and MinGW compiling environment that is
used to build ESP-r on Windows and a debugger.

Also, it would help in such observational messages to include as
much detail as possible.