[esp-r] counter-flow heat exchangers and meta components

Christian Anker Hviid cah at byg.dtu.dk
Thu Mar 27 10:48:44 GMT 2008

Hello ESP-r community

I am modelling two fluid coupled counter-flow heat exchangers in order
to recover heat in a passive ventilation system. I have tried to couple
a heating coil in the inlet with a cooling coil in the outlet (type 20
and 21), and let a fixed flow rates controller control the capacity
flow. Contrary to my beliefs the coils are not counter-flow (the outlet
water temp equals the outlet air temp).
In my search I have looked into contructing a counter-flow heat
exchanger from primitive parts (heat transfer tubes) as a meta component
as the intended exchanger does in fact consists of plastic tubes.
However, while I am able to specify the inter-connections I am not able
to specify inlet and outlet index as otherwise stated in the Aasem
thesis. Program never asks.

Question 1: Are there any pre-specified counter-flow heat exchangers
available in version 11.4?
Question 2: Anybody have any experience with meta components. Have I
discovered a bug? Any work-around?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards
Christian Hviid