[esp-r] Re: VAV and Positive Air Pressure Control

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 15:23:44 GMT 2008

A recent question (below)...

If the "VAV control function" is the one in the ideal zone controls
it does not assume any relationship with an air flow network and
no air flow network is required when using this ideal zone control.
The zone controller has a number of parameters (source temperature,
throttling range etc.) but there is no parameter which describes
the specific characteristics of a return path.

There is an exemplar model which demonstrates the use of this
zone control and you might want to look at that model.

If the "VAV control function" is for an air flow network control
there isn't one labeled as "VAV".  You could join several flow
components and controls to approximate the actions of
a VAV.  In a flow network you are able to describe connections
to other zones and to the outside e.g. the return path. And
if you want the return air to be some fixed percentage of
the incoming air that is going to take a rather clever flow
control (there is no example of this).

The question is not quite clear how the 90CMH is represented
in the model.  If a flow network is being used please re-submit
the question and include a sketch of the flow network.

-Jon Hand