[esp-r] Re: Start-up days and quasi steady-state

Ferguson, Alex AFerguso at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Jan 29 15:26:23 GMT 2008

Hi Liam,

You can access the start-up data if you've compiled a version of ESP-r
with support for XML output. When running bps, select "configure H3K
Reports" from the integrated simulator menu. Then:

-         Select "a H3K Reports >> disabled" to enable the facility.

-         Select "e Report startup period"

-         Select "f All data"

When run, bps will produce a file called out.csv, which will contain
(among other things) the temperatures of all layers in the building.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Basically, the temperature
graph of the thermal mass drops from 22C to 19C in an instant".
Remember, results from a discrete simulation do not imply that state
variables remain constant over the entire time-step. The solution at
each time-step reflects the estimated instantaneous temperatures at that
point in time, based on the prevailing conditions at the current and
previous time-steps. Results from an hourly simulation showing a
temperature change from 22C to 19C suggests a 3 degree drop over an
hour. Increasing the time resolution to five-minutes or one-minute may
help you discern the cause of this temperature change.

Hope that helps,

- Alex