[esp-r] Re: Building a simple electrical network (PV and batteries)

Ferguson, Alex AFerguso at NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Nov 2 17:48:53 GMT 2007

Hi Philip,

Can you forward your .enf file (that is, the file in the /nets folder that describes your electric network)? It might help us diagnose your problem

- Alex

Alex Ferguson
Sustainable Buildings and Communities (Housing Group)
CANMET Energy Technology Centre
Natural Resources Canada
P:+1 613 995 3294
F:+1 613 996 9909
Alex.Ferguson at nrcan.gc.ca

________________________________

From: esp-r-bounces at lists.strath.ac.uk [mailto:esp-r-bounces at lists.strath.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Philip.Neron at space.gc.ca
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 15:06
To: esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk
Subject: [esp-r] Building a simple electrical network (PV and batteries)

Hello all,

My final gold is to charge batteries with a solar panel.  For my tests, I have built a simple building; a solar panel and a room (see picture 1).  The electrical network includes only 2 nodes linked together, one for the PV and one for the load.  All my network are on the 24Vdc.

1) First test: No load, open circuit.
At first view, the simulation looks good.  The PV generates voltage according with sun intensity (see picture 2).  The issue is the PV generates power too (see picture 3).  It's not supposed since there is no load (open circuit).  More, the generated voltage is at the full charge value of 35V (Vopen = 43.5V).

2) Second test: Add batteries on the load node.
Nothing happens.  The PV reacts exactly like the first test.  More, the load node voltage is zero.  I expected the same value than the PV node since they are linked by a wire.

3) Some design details
For the PV, I use the crystalline RMS1100 PV include on special component "building integrated-renewable".
For the batteries, I use the "Power sonic Batteries" include on "Power Only Component"

It will be appreciated to have some help for the design of my electrical network or some documentations.

Thank you

Philip Néron

<<Picture 1.gif>> <<Picture 2.gif>> <<Picture 3.gif>>

Philip Néron
Étudiant COOP | COOP student
Exploration planétaire | Planetary exploration
Sciences spatiales | Space sciences
Agence spatiale canadienne | Canadian Space Agency
6767, Route de l'Aéroport, Longueuil, QC, Canada, J3Y 8Y9
Tél/Tel : (450) 926-5816 | Téléc/Fax : (450) 926-4449
Courriel/E-mail :[philip.neron at espace.gc.ca]
Site web/Web site : [www.espace.gc.ca <file://www.espace.gc.ca> ]