[esp-r] Re: climate data

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Oct 29 10:59:10 GMT 2007

A recent question about selecting climate data from a list...

> I can get the ".....IWEC.epw" with the guide of ESP-r cookbook(Page.
> 35)
> ,couild you tell me how to specify this climate data file as my
> weather data of the project? I did many times but no use, alway
> Birmingham climate.

Both the modules clm and prj scan a file called 'climatelist' which is
located in the climate folder where ESP-r has been installed.  Any
climate file names that are held in the climatelist file are presented
to the user.

To include additional climate files the text of the climatelist file
needs
to be edited and there are facilities within the clm module to create
the text for such new entries.  The next version of ESP-r will  make it
somewhat easier to do these tasks and reduces the number of
steps involved.

Some who find the instructions within the ESP-r cookbook sufficient
for adding new entries into the climatelist file and others do not.
Perhaps
it needs to be re-written.

Some work is progressing.  In the last couple of weeks 32 new locations
in China have been processed and a new China-specific set of files
created.  Anyone interested can contact Jon Hand for directions on
how to download this information.  Over time we hope to make
additional climate sets for other countries available as a separate
download.

-ESRU