[esp-r] Re: Temporal file

paul strachan paul at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Sep 17 21:39:47 BST 2007

Dear Ali,

Regarding the measured vertical solar radiation, the only way at present
to use this is to use a facility in the simulation toggles of the
simulator (note password is 101). If you put the measured data in a
single column in a text file, then you can use this in the simulator -
note you will need to make sure that the data includes simulation
start-up days and use simulation timesteps to correspond to the data in
the file.

As ESP-r needs the direct and diffuse radiation separately, ESP-r uses
the data in the climate file to calculate the direct and diffuse for the
vertical surface. It uses the resulting direct/diffuse ratio to split
the measured solar radiation into its direct and diffuse components.

For control, it is possible to switch between different optical
properties based on the surface irradiation - go to the construction
file and select  "transparent layer properties".

Thanks for your observations on the channel flow convection algorithm -
we'll look at this.

Regards
Paul

Dr P A Strachan                   email: paul at esru.strath.ac.uk
ESRU, Dept. of Mechanical Eng.          phone: +44 141 548 2041
University of Strathclyde                 fax: +44 141 552 5105
Glasgow G1 1XJ, UK                 http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk