[esp-r] Re: Dxf import

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Sun Sep 2 01:18:05 BST 2007

A recent question about importing DXF CAD data into a model...

The import facility assumes that you are importing into an
existing ESP-r model which does not have any zones defined.

To do this start up the project manger (prj) and ask to create
a new model. Supply it with the initial site information that
it asks for.  Click on 'save' or 'save as' and make a note of
the file name that has been created. This is the ESP-r configuration
file that the import funcition requires.

When using the DXF import function remember to have saved
the DXF file as version 12 (the last version that there was a
freely available description of the contents).  When giving
the name of the DXF file include the full (explicit) path as
well.

There have been past discussions about the specific contents
of DXF files that are recognised (3DFACE and 3DPOLY) and the
rules (each zone is on a separately named layer).  An easy
way to find out the entities is to export a current ESP-r model
as a DXF file and look at the contents.

Some users have noted that if the import process fails the
messages genereated are somewhat opaque. We have recently
started to investigate such issues but work is not yet complete.

Remember that an alternative to direct import is (for the X11
version of ESP-r) to turn the CAD data into a bitmap and then
use the click-on-bitmap function in prj to create new zones.
Sometimes this is faster and allows much more control of
which CAD entities you choose to include in your model.

-ESRU