[esp-r] Re: ESP-r Version 11.3 - increase the number of zones

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Aug 29 17:29:24 BST 2007

A user asked about getting more zones....

> I have a Version 11.3 of the ESP-r installed on Fedora Core 6
> operating system.
>
> I need to increase the number of zones in my model and i don't no
> how to do it.
> There is no longer a "/esp-r/include folder", like it was in older
> versions of ESP-r and i don't no what "include folder of the source
> distribution is used" means.

This topic comes up regularly.  There is, of course the 'health warning'
that always goes out - complex models can be frustrating to create
and can eat up staff time and computing resources.  If you are a
novice there are any number of experienced users who will
advise you against attempting complex models until you have
evolved your working practices in models of moderate complexity.

Changing the maximum number of zones requires a recompile.  It
requires that you modify a file called building.h which is in a folder
called 'include' within the source distribution.  There are, in fact a
number of existing variants of building.h with names like building52.h
and building62.h which relate to altering the maximum number of
surfaces in a zone. The current development_branch of ESP-r
includes a file building4262.h which increases the number of
zones to 42.

ESP-r has been tested to 80 zones but that is at the bleeding-edge
and we would not recommend that yet for 'production work',

There are instructions on the web about how to 'checkout' the current
development branch using a 'subversion' client.  In the source code
are further documentation.  There is also a discussion list used
by the development community.

-ESRU