[esp-r] Re: Esp-r linux install

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed May 30 10:13:48 BST 2007

A recent question about setting up ESP-r on Linux....

> However i do not know how to change the PATH that is required!
> could someone please help me?
> (I am a bit new on linux so please be analytical -- i mean exact
> commands--)
> thank very mach in advance for your help.

ESRU are not in a position to provide operating system training.
Perhaps
others in the community will also contribute.  Indeed, the archives of
this discussion list probably have several discussions.  And the Readme
on the ESRU download web page should say something about this.

You need to know where you installed the ESP-r modules (e.g. prj res
bps) on
your machine.  And then you can add the correct environment variables.

As an example, if the ESP-r executables are in /opt/esru/esp-r/bin
look for a file .bash_profile in your home folder
In .bash_profile there is a line that starts
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
this should become
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/opt/esru/bin:/opt/esru/esp-r/bin

Log out and the next time you log in you should be able to give the
command
which prj

and have it respond with /opt/esru/esp-r/bin/prj.  If you get this then
you should be able to start prj from a graphic terminal.

Linux is a learnable skill, best of luck.

-ESRU