[esp-r] Re: Non-uniform temperature in a wall

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Thu May 17 17:10:41 BST 2007

A recent question about geometric resolution...

> If I want to model a non-uniform temperature in a wall with non-
> uniform distribution of incident solar radiation, do I have to
> manually split the wall into a sufficient number of small surfaces
> or does ESP-r do this for me?
>
> Is there a reference or section in the documentation that discusses
> this topic?

ESP-r does not subdivide surfaces for you (good idea though)!

There are examples of this - look in the set of cellular_office
exemplars between
the base case and the high resolution variant which subdivides some
of the walls.
There is another which also includes surfaces floating in the room to
represent
furniture.

Hint - some people subdivide surfaces to better track sun patches in
a room
at different seasons.  To get a good idea if this is an issue use the
'view from sun'
at different times of the year. What you can see in the wireframe is
what the
sun can see so you can quickly see what parts of the room might get
sunlight
at different times of the day or year.

One note - if you subdivide the base of the zone into more than six
surfaces you will have to manually add up the floor area and give this
number in the geometry menu under 'base area'.

-ESRU