[esp-r] Re: SHOCC - DDS summary for dev conference

Geissler Achim Achim.Geissler at josef-gartner.ch
Wed Mar 21 07:46:22 GMT 2007

Hi Denis,

very interesting stuff, you describe! As the internal loads are surely one of the most important factors for the calculation of cooling load - and at the same time one of the most "guessed" usually - making more realistic patterns usable for simulation is a step forward, surely. However, how do you see this in the context of dimensioning (of a building - U-value, g-value etc. - and of HVAC equipment)? Too many degrees of freedom may be contra-productive, here?

In regard to your second-to-last slide and the question on "what is the incidence angle behind the louvers", my opinion is:

-          the *incidence* angle is always in regard to the sun (sun azimuth and altitude in regard to the façade considered). For such louvers we could (a) model them individually in ESP-r as obstructions - if obstructions were enhanced with reflection and maybe even transmission (glass louvers are all 'en vogue', too) and in this way have direct-direct and direct-diffuse (and diffuse-diffuse, of course) transmission and reflection for the louver system / space behind or (b) model them as Venetian type blinds. Such a model could / will (?) then take direct-direct and direct-diffuse (and diffuse-diffuse, again) transmission / reflection into account for the space behind the louvers.

-          if the interaction of ESP-r with Radiance could include "translation" of Radiance results to energy analysis for usage by ESP-r, the louvers would probably be no problem at all ... maybe runtime, though.

Best regards

Achim Geissler