[esp-r] Re: prj: segmentation fault

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Feb 14 12:23:43 GMT 2007

A recent question about ESP-r and 64 bit compiling.....

> I have just downloaded and compiled ESP-r on a FedoraCore 6 OS
> using g77.
> It is a dual processor 64bit machine
> When complied for GTK it works very well
> When compiled for X11, and I run the command “prj” it briefly opens
> the project manager window (<<1second) and then says “Segmentation
> fault” in my terminal
> This occurs for any of the binaries (e.g. “bps”).
> Any ideas?
>
> I also am running it on a single processor 32bit machine with
> Fedora Core 6 and the X11 version works fine.

Testing is underway to ensure that ESP-r works on 64-bit computing
platforms.
At this point there are numerical issues with  64-bit environments
which have
yet to be resolved. There is not yet a consensus in the ESP-r
development community
to recommend using ESP-r on 64 bit platforms.

newest
GCC compilers (4.1.1 onwards) pass the validation tests.

It should be possible for someone who has a 64 bit platform to Install
esp-r with debugging on and to run the executable within a debugging
environment
such as gdb or ddd and track down the location where the segementation
falult is happening.

-ESRU