[esp-r] Re: vented trombe wall?

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Jan 26 17:19:14 GMT 2007

A recent question about flow networks without an external (boundary)
node.

> I am trying to use ESP-r to simulate the performance of a room with
> vented trombe wall,and i creat the air flow network without
> external environment node seeing the figure attachment,but i doubt
> whether it works right.

It is guaranteed that this will not work. According to the documentation
all flow networks much include at least one boundary node type (either
to a wind pressure node or a specified pressure node).  ESP-r probably
complained a lot about this model.  Air
is not compressible in the flow solution so there must be some
connection (even if it is via several other paths) from every internal
node to a boundary.

And in reality few buildings are 100% closed (might happen in the
International Space Station).  There are several of the
exemplar models which illustrate options for creating links to the
outside.

And those who would like to find out more about designing flow networks
have a look at the ESRU web page for upcoming training events.

-ESRU