[esp-r] Re: PMV?

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 17:57:31 GMT 2007

A recent question about reporting on comfort within ESp-r....

> Hello all,
> When i simulate the thermal comfort level for a
> building zone using ESP-r,there is a set for
> predict mean vote(PMV) i don't know how i should
> do.It asks"Which casual gain represents
> occupancy?",and there are five options:Always
> occupied,Lights,time,Occupt and Equipt.My trouble
> is that i don't know the representations of the
> five different opitons.It really confuses me a
> lot,could some one expound it for me?

We had a look at the contextual help associated with this dialog
in the results analysis application and found it to be
somewhat terse.

Below is some revised text that is going to be put into the
code:

         H(1)='To identify when during the day that comfort should be'
         H(2)='reported you have several options: '
         H(3)=' Always occupied - assess comfort 24/7 i.e. independent'
         H(4)='     of the occupant schedules with the zone operation'
         H(5)='     file.'
         H(6)=' Labels from the zone operations file - the 2nd - 4th'
         H(7)='     options of the in the dialog reflect what has been'
         H(8)='     defined in the zone operations file for casual gain'
         H(9)='     types ( if you select one of these then comfort is'
         H(10)='     reported for non-zero sensible gain periods.'
         H(11)=' time - you specify a start time and an end time for'
         H(12)='     a typical day and comfort is assessed during this'
         H(13)='     period.'
         H(14)=' '
         H(15)='If you have not altered the labels for the casual gains'
         H(16)='within the zone operations file the first Type is for'
         H(17)='occupants the second Type is lights and the third Type'
         H(18)='is Equipment (small power).'

And the other thing a user can do is to review what has
been defined in the zone operation file. If there are occupants
it should be clear which of the three casual gain types is
used.  In the question above the word "occupant" did not
show up as a casual gain type so it might be that there
are no occupants in that particular zone.

And there is some discussion in the Project Manager
about how casual gains are treated as well as
a discussion in the ESP-r cookbook (available from the
ESRU web page).

-ESRU