[esp-r] Looking for models/experience of zone control law 8

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 13:16:33 GMT 2007

During a systematic update of ESp-r zone ideal control I started looking
at the  "Variable supply temperature with limit constraints" control
which is implemented (but tersely documented) in bcfunc.F subroutine
BCL08. This control has rather terse user help messages in the
project manager interface as well.

A draft help text for the editing menu is shown below based on
a brief review of the code.  If anyone has ideas for making
this text better I would appreciate it....

     h(1)='This control represents an idealised air based '
     h(2)='environmental control system that delivers air '
     h(3)='at a fixed flow rate (same for heating & cooling'
     h(4)='operation). The heating supply temperature varies'
     h(5)='up to a maximum setpoint and the cooling supply'
     h(6)='temperature varies down to a minimum setpoint.'
     h(7)=' '
     h(8)='The room heating and cooling setpoints (typically'
     h(9)='defined so there is a deadband) are met on the basis'
     h(10)='of the heating and/or cooling implicit at the '
     h(11)='defined flow rate and supply temperature (i.e.'
     h(12)='the capacity and efficiency of the supply is not'
     h(13)='defined). You have the option to specify that cooling'
     h(14)='is not available. '
     h(15)=' '
     h(16)='This control law can be used to check whether an '
     h(17)='air based system is able to meet demand patterns in '
     h(18)='a room prior to specification of a detailed component'
     h(19)='model.'

I am also looking for information on WHO might have worked on this
control in the past to get a better idea the sorts of applications
where this code would be applicable.  Perhaps they would help
me to extend the document of the equations in the code as well....

I have not yet found any exemplar model that uses this
and it would be great to find out if anyone in the community has
used control law 8 and has a model that they might contribute
which uses this or could suggest further documentation.

It would seem like this control would be just the thing for an
early design stage question such as "will a 1.3m^sec supply
temperature with a lower limit of 15C work in this room and how often
is that supply temperature required?

Any suggestions please email jon at esru.strath.ac.uk

-Jon