[esp-r] Re: release of ESP-r version 11.2

Axel Jacobs a.jacobs at londonmet.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 12:26:34 GMT 2006

Dear Ian,

> Version 11.2 of the ESP-r system is now available.  A summary of the
> changes and new features included in this release is given at the bottom
> of this e-mail.

It seems the development progresses in leaps and bounced. Big thumbs up
for this release. The new build system (I installed on Debian) is _much_
improved.

Allow me to share a few thoughts that have occured to me, and which I find
a little confusing:

- The build script installs all .svn sub-directories, which I don't
believe are required for esp-r to function.

- I've been preparing the next release of LEARNIX
(http://luminance.londonmet.ac.uk/learnix/index.shtml), and only checked
out 11.1 less than two days prior the anouncement of 11.2. In those less
than 48 hour, an entirely different built system was introduced which
could potentially has far-reaching implications on the functionality and
accuracy of the software. So if any testing did happen (which I assume),
then it could have only lasted less then 48 hours. For something as
fundamental as a new build script, this strikes me as a little short.

- In comparision to 11.1 two days ago, the prompt regarding the new XML2
output has disappeard. Is this default-enabled now?

- When you mention numerial differences with the new GNU F77 compiler,
than this can only mean that building under gcc-g77 version 4 has not been
tested and is strongly discouraged? This is a very fundamental issue and
should be highlighted during the build procedure.

- With all this said, I wonder if you would actually consider 11.2 a
'stable' release, or rather a 'We know it's broken, but please send bug
reports'-release. If the latter is the case, may I ask which the 'stable'
release is, and how to obtain it. Is there an option in svn that allows us
to go back in time?

- This brings me to my last point: SVN. Normal users who have no interest
in the development process and just wish to download and use any software
should NEVER EVER have to get anywhere near a concurrent versioning
system. May I propose that if you do consider 11.2 fit for a production
environment, then please do provide tar balls like you used to do.

Those are the points that I wished to raise. Let me conclude be expressing
my excitement about the new gtk GUI code, and that I am very much looking
forward to some slick, modern interface that you already seem to have on
the drawing board. Thank you everybody for the excellent work you've been
putting in.

Kind regards

Axel